Sunday, October 21, 2007

the baby of cakes

Clearly this blog has fallen by the wayside. I've a new job that's keeping me busy and our oven is not working which has put us on baking hiatus. But one event that did happen this month ,which I was able to bang out a cake for, was my niece's first birthday.


It's not often that I have an excuse to make a giant cake. (This was the equivalent of 48 cupcakes.) Four layers of vanilla cake, vanilla buttercream, blackberry preserves, and colored sprinkles! An abundance of pink, yes. Aside from upholding gender paradigms (gotta start em early, right?), I wanted to make the quintessential big birthday cake. And in the cartoons, they're always white with pink frosting. They're also usually two or three tiers, but I didn't figure a one-year old needed that much cake.


Especially since she was really only interested in the frosting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you must be the best Aunt in the entire universe!

She is a lucky little girl.

anonymom

Anonymous said...

ATE IT, it was good.

James said...

maggie,

thank you for your encouraging words. reading your comment was the equivalent of remembering a time when i'd sit with my cousins in the back (the very back - where there were no seats, and it was quite dangerous) of my dad's tan and brown volkswagon van, and we'd be driving back from reno in december. with snow all around us, he would blast my all-time favorite 1987 christmas album (now out-of-print and available only on cassette) disney presents: holiday favorites, vol. 1 and everything was amazing. anyway, a warm fuzzy feeling - and that's all there is to it.

so, again, thank you.