Thursday, June 28, 2007

cupcakes for a cause: part 2


I lied. I said no more sweets and what do I do? I make cupcakes. I swear I've been eating real food; it just hasn't been very noteworthy. Cupcakes are always noteworthy. These are especially so as they were the second dozen in an auctioned-off set to benefit Northwest Network of Bi, Trans, Lesbian and Gay Survivors of Abuse.

This is one of a dozen lavender-infused chocolate cupcakes with vegan cream cheese frosting. The granulated sugar in the cupcakes and the powdered sugar in the frosting sat for a couple days mingling with dried lavender flowers. I'd never used lavender as a culinary ingredient and I was pleasantly surprised with the effect it had, though it was almost too subtle in the chocolate to even detect its presence. The cream cheese frosting showed it off nicely however (inspired by lovely cupcakes elsewhere.)

But really, next post won't be cupcakes. Or cake in any form. It won't even contain any damn sugar! Promise.

(On a side note, though it clearly wasn't for the occasion, this cupcake is vicariously dedicated to my dad who had his first birthday as a vegan yesterday. He celebrated with tofu and veggies, like any good herbivore. Next up for a vegan birthday: my mum...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

give it!

Anonymous said...

cool cup cake!