Friday, March 9, 2007

a ray of ruby grapefruit in the grey of march

The contents of our third box of Full Circle Farm CSA produce.



Artichokes, red onion, acorn squash, green leaf lettuce, red potatoes, snow peas, cherry tomatoes, leeks, ruby grapefruit, Fuji apples, mango, and garnet yams.

Most of this food is sourced from farms outside of Washington. A traditional CSA farm sends a box of fruits and vegetables that are seasonal and local. So typically my vegetables this month would be roots, roots, and more roots. Full Circle Farm sources organics from other states where growing seasons are longer (California, for instance) so they can offer a greater variety during the slower growing seasons in this state. I know it’s not a “true” CSA, but I’m still investing in a farm and eating an array of organic foods.

Which is perhaps the best reason I can see in signing up for a CSA: it’s too easy to rotate the same dozen fruits and vegetables in cooking, to rely on foods that you are comfortable with. Why take a chance on brussels sprouts when you know you love broccoli? The boxes come with at least one or two foods that I’ve never cooked with or that I rarely think of using when I’m wandering through the produce aisle. And so far, armed with a good recipe, I haven't been let down.

You can find farms that offer Community Supported Agriculture in your area by using the Local Harvest CSA Finder.

There’s no such thing as too many vegetables in your kitchen.

No comments: