Monday, March 26, 2007

3.141592653589793...

Pizza with Artichoke Hearts, Tempeh Sausage,
Red Onion, and Kalamata Olives


I used to love pizza. Back in the olden days as a college freshman, I would order the cheapest, greasiest sort at midnight with my friends and then eat it while watching Female Trouble. Sometimes I miss that kind of pizza--the kind that leaves little strings of cheese on your chin and turns all the napkins an oily orange, the kind that you eat from a box in the dark with the television glowing on your face. But thankfully, I've found salvation in homemade pies and a new love for Pizza (a capital P kind of love.)

"Cheese" is perhaps the holy grail of vegan products. For Pizza endeavors, we seem to oscillate between Follow Your Heart and Veganrella (specifically mozzarella styles, we don't fool with that cheddar nonsense.) It's true that the FYH melts better, but I find it a little bland where Veganrella is pungent--in a good way. But the cheese isn't what makes the Pizza. It's the crust, the sauce, the toppings. This particular batch was a late dinner for my parents, one of those "Let's stuff our faces on Pizza and then eat pie" nights. It happens to the best of us.

The toppings aplenty were as follows: artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, homemade tempeh sausage, red onion, roasted red and yellow pepper, cashews, fresh tomatoes, and grilled portobello mushroom.

I could go on with an in-depth Pizza tutorial, but that can wait for another time. There are more important things in life. Such as dessert.

Black-bottom Peanut Butter Silk Pie


Perhaps the best cream pie I've had as a vegan from the only cookbook that matters. Do yourself a favor and eat some pie. You'll thank me later.

2 comments:

Toby Shuster said...

can you please send me a piece of that pie?
thank you in advance.

Maggie said...

if you will send me a mini portable refrigerator that will survive the u.s. postal system, you can have pie!